Many people think a leaky roof is just a matter of a quick patch or small repair to fix a structural issue, but the truth is, it can present a number of associated problems, including the growth of mold, which can be hazardous to your health. And it doesn’t have to be a large leak to create the perfect conditions for mold to grow. Even a small drip can contribute to significant mold growth over time.
Incore Restoration Group is a IICRC (Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification)-certified full-service commercial roofing contractor in the Ann Arbor, MI, area. Among our services, we also offer mold removal and remediation. As one of Michigan’s premier disaster response companies, we are more than capable of diagnosing and repairing your mold problem. Call us to learn more at (866) 685-0009.
Detecting the Problem
The first step to fixing your problem permanently is finding the underlying cause. While some leaks are large and easy to detect, other leaks can be difficult to pinpoint; they may travel from the point of origination through your roofing material’s layers to finally present themselves at another spot on the underside of the roof.
There are many reasons why your roof may be leaking. The experienced professionals at Incore Restoration Group are qualified to identify and correct them:
- Missing shingles – Shingles often blow off or are damaged by strong weather.
- Improper installation of roofing structures – Joints, skylights, and flashing – all are prime points for leaks if improperly installed. Flashing is the term roofers use for the material used to cover joints that are susceptible to water seepage. These areas are vulnerable to cracks and decaying insulation.
- Blocked drainage systems – Gutters clogged by debris or built-up ice can cause water to backup and penetrate areas that normally don’t have to deal with standing water.
By the time you see mold growing and begin to be affected by its spores, chances are its been there for quite some time, just like the leak that’s been keeping it moist and creating the perfect growing conditions. Following is a list of the most common signs your roof may be leaking:
- Shingles that are not lying flat – peeling, curling, or missing
- Roofing material that is not fully adhered – bubbling, cracked, etc.
- Dark or discolored spots on the ceiling or walls (usually radiating out from a central point)
- Water dripping through the ceiling or wall
- Bubbling or crumbling plaster/drywall
- Damp wood or insulation in the attic
- Bubbling or peeling paint or other materials around skylights or windows set on the roof
- Musty smell, overall decreased air quality
Hiring a certified roofing professional to find and repair the leak should be your first step toward fixing your mold problem. One of the benefits of working with Incore Restoration Group is that we do it all – we can identify and fix your leaky commercial roof, as well as remove the mold and we will work to get things secured and find the source right away!
Call Incore Restoration Group Today!
Finding mold growing in your commercial building can be devastating. Besides the obvious financial toll of taking care of the problem, the health effects (allergies, nasal stuffiness, throat irritation, coughing, eye irritation, skin irritation, and more) can be serious, especially if your building houses tenants or employees. Mold travels via spores, which can easily be dispersed via the building’s HVAC system.
If you have discovered mold or have suspicions you may have mold in your commercial building space or roof, act immediately. Let the qualified experts at Incore Restoration Group address the issue without delay. Call us today at (866) 685-0009.